The Advocacy Unit helps people living with HIV/AIDS (PWLHA) navigate benefits, entitlements, and both public and private insurance issues, including ADAP, HASA, Medicare, COBRA Medicaid and individual insurances. Staff are certified by New York State of Health to help New York residents enroll in insurance, individual health plans, Medicaid and Essential plans on the Market Place. GMHC staff also provide information regarding Social Security and connection to GMHC’s workforce development services with the goal of ensuring access to care, stable housing, and income.
- HIV-positive individuals, regardless of immigration status (In some cases, HIV-negative
individuals are eligible for assistance with insurance and social security).
- Resident of NYS
- Earn less than 435% above poverty guidelines (see Ryan White Eligibility Criteria)
- Liquid assets of $25,000 or less
- Must be 18 years or older
- Homeless or unstably housed
- Assistance obtaining health insurance (private health insurance or Medicaid)
- Assistance with Social Security application
- Help with insurance issues
- Support with challenges related to HASA (HIV/AIDS Services Administration)
- Assistance with housing issues